Well it’s been a couple of weeks since this happened, and I still get happy giggles when i think about it! 🙂
The Animal/ Pet Photographer of the Year category only came about in 2015 in the already long running AIPP Awards, I was a student member with the AIPP at the time and had already decided that all I wanted to photograph was animals. I remember distinctly thinking, “WOW! How cool would it be to earn that title one day”.
I saw Kerry of Puppy Tales Photography win in 2015 and Ken of Zoo Studio win in 2016 while I was an emerging member, and was amazed and inspired (and a touch intimidated) by the calibre of work in the category, which keeps on getting more diverse each year. It made me even more determined to keep on improving so that I might be a finalist one day. Now, ‘one day’ in my mind was in the next 5-7 years… never did I imagine I would win in my first year of being an accredited member.
But it happened, *happy dance*.
I have a lot of people to be thankful to, as per usual I gave a very awkward adhoc speech and forgot to thank a lot of people. Although I always seem to remember to thank Lentil, but he is a rabbit and really doesn’t’ gives a shit.
So massive thanks to:
- DigiDirect for sponsoring the pet/animal category
- All the judges, volunteers behind the scenes, sponsors, the head office crew and other entrants. The awards wouldn’t happen otherwise!
- My fam bam! I know that I’m probs bias but, best family ever!
- My AIPP fam bam – you know who you are! You have been supporting me ever since I was an awkwardly shy student member and now grateful to call you my amazing friends.
- All my furry models whose owners trusted in my ideas for their artwork – you are seriously the best!
- My Lentil! (can’t help myself)
- Nikon, Ilford and Epson for creating the tools and products I use to bring the ideas in my head to reality
- Paul Hoelen – all round awesome human being (and biggest supporter… after my parents 😉 )
I’m sure I am still forgetting people…. eeekkkk
The winning images….
I will eventually put up individual posts about the making of each. Lentil as the Carrot farmer is HERE – as this is only image that I re entered from the Victorian AIPP Awards. I made a few subtle changes to refine the print but otherwise he is the same
Peace out peeps
P.S. You’re awesome xox